Friday, April 06, 2007

Grand Canyon Colorado River Trip


After 4 months of preparation, the time had come. Monty and Jack had invited me numerous times to take part in one of their adventures. Always with an answer “I can’t take off that much time from work and family”, but this time was different. I had taken a couple “dead-heads” from Lees Ferry to Phantom and remember what fun it was. Very little time other than to row, set up camp, eat, sleep and start over again the next morning, but dang, what a blast it was! Tanya whom I had met 3 years previous and had done many trips with, had expressed to me in the past that she would like to float the Grand. So be-it, here we are on Saturday, March 10th working our way down South Kaibab Trail and anxious to meet the folks we would be spending the next 12 days with. At noon we crossed the bridge and saw many boats at the beach and wondered which ones our luggage was aboard. Voila! Heres Jack and his wonderful welcome aboard. The fleet included 3-18’ baggage boats, 2- 14’ “maseratis”, an absolutely beautiful natural wood Dory and an 18’ boat loaded with “Squirt Boats” and the commercial banner covered up. Hello to all! We all loaded up to shuttle 6 of the original crew a mile or so downstream to shorten their hike out. Now the party consisted of Bill from Washington, Tom his brother from Texas, Tolease from Flag’, Jack from Kanab, Monty his son (homeless!) “Cackle Tom” from Texas, Duffy and his Queen from Flag’ (Oars), Jeff from SG, Tanya, myself and the “Unforgettble” Legend, O.C.! Am I forgetting someone?! They’ll show up I’m sure. Yes the big rapids had an appeal to me, but I was there to explore every inch of property in the Grand Canyon! Well…at least see some of it anyway. The first night after an exciting run thru Horn Creek Rapid, we pulled into Trinity Creek to camp. Soon we learned the system of unloading, set-up, and all that. As the sun went down…..the STARS SHONE! WOW! Couldn’t sleep so did a 2AM headlamp up Trinity to a dryfall and then scrambled up and right until deciding that maybe it would be more enjoyable in the daylight! We got up early to the firemasters (“Cackle Tom”) entrancing morning motivation. Some coffee, breakfast, a few nasty jokes and the repack to move further downstream. This second day would take us thru some more exciting rapids and a camp at “Crystal Rapid”. We all slept well and anticipated the morning run thru Crystal. There was one BIG hole that no one wanted to hit! On down the river put us at our first “Layover” day! Yee-Haw! Hiking! We stayed on the west side of the river above Bass Rapid. Monty had expressed that he would like to hike in the morning to repeat a hike he had done many years ago. I’m Game! It would require a difficult “ferry” across the river just above the rapid so that we could access the North Bass Trail. After cardio “tug” we sat on the east side of the river and a short 4th class scramble thru the schist to gain the trail. Soon we left the trail to try to climb a ridge leading to “Dox Castle”. Monty had forgotten the route he had taken, so I scouted and made it up the ridge until an 80’ vertical face stumped me. I had noticed a possible weakness in the 500’ cliffband to the west and suggested that we give it a go. Some more scrambling and a few boulder moves landed Jeff, Monty and I on top of a plateau that I have dubbed “Tiptoe thru Cacti” Plateau. I’m quite serious! After 1/3rd mile of tiptoeing, we made the steep “balbearing” ascent to the “5.8” move to make our way to “Dox Castle”. This was downright scary! It was only 20’ high…..but, but, but! Jeff and I hoisted Monty past the Crux and he then hip belayed us up. Another “ballbearing” stumble led us to the western edge of the Dox Castle ridge. Lunch, rehydration, a few shots of of the Holy Grail Temple to the northeast and then the descent. On the way back I attempted to “cap-out” Dox Castle, but the 20’ of rope we had just didn’t give me the confidence I needed! Speaking of 20’ of rope….At the 5.8 section, 20’ allowed me to “hip lower” Jeff and Monty, but now its my turn! Downclimb 20’ of 5.8 was the highlight…at least one big adrenaline rush! We then headed north and found 2 different possibilities to descend into Shinumo Creek. Steep but reasonably casual. I arrived maybe 5 minutes before Jeff and Monty…stripped off the layers and “dunked” in an absolutely pristine hole. We then headed west down the creek past Shinumo “Bass” Camp and to the river for our awaiting boat. That is of course if I set the “nut anchors” properly! Back to camp just in time for Dinner! Yee-Haw!
-Bo